[Simh] Install VAX/VMS 4.4 on a simulated VAX-11/780

Henk van de Kamer simh at vandekamer.com
Thu Mar 29 13:49:39 EDT 2018

> The procedure in the manual was to boot Standalone Backup via whatever
> console medium your machine had.  When you got an OS update
> subscription, you paid for the media that fit your machine.  Where I
> worked in the 80s and 90s, we got our VMS on 1600 bpi magtape with
> Standalone Backup on TU58s for our 11/750 and 11/730, and we got
> MicroVMS on RX50 diskette (uVAX-I) and TK50 (uVAX-II).  The 11/780
> typically got SABACKUP on RX01 disks, IIRC.  The 8600 got it on RL02
> packs.

I've searched but can't find images of the RX01 floppies. I mentioned in
this thread the VAX-11/782 page [1] which provides a RX33 floppy image
(v4.0 of Standalone Backup) and Jordi provided [2] a RL02 disk image
(v4.7 of Standalone backup).

I decided that the first is probably more historical correct and used
that to install the VAX/VMS v4.4 tape. Just wrote a blog post [3] (in
Dutch I'm afraid) about the process and now have the screendump I
wanted. More work than planned, but in the end learned a lot.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions.

[1] http://www.9track.net/simh/vax782/
[2] http://mailman.trailing-edge.com/pipermail/simh/2018-March/017920.html
[3] http://www.hetlab.tk/museum/vaxvms-v4-4-prompt

--