[Simh] Install VAX/VMS 4.4 on a simulated VAX-11/780

Jordi Guillaumes Pons jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
Tue Mar 27 16:42:04 EDT 2018

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons
jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
HECnet: BITXOW::JGUILLAUMES

> On 26 Mar 2018, at 11:35, Wilm Boerhout <wboerhout at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Clem Cole schreef op 25-3-2018 om 23:23:
>> A small suggestion...   while you can probably get the 780 to recognize and support a TU58, booting from it may be difficult (I did not find it mentioned in any SDP or other doc).   The 780 family has a dedicated PDP-11 with RX floppy drives that runs as the 'front end' for it and boots it.   The PDP-11 run an small OS RSX-11/S (I think - but man those bit in my brain are long lost) and can reach in the SMI to load the OS image into memory from the disk and then points the system at it. The 750 and 730 have boot roms for he VAX itself that know how to talk to the peripherals such as the TU58 .

Hello,

I’ve uploaded a RL02 image of a bootable VMS 4.7 Standalone backup. You can download it using this link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12USrZnqSRWelSKAWiHipyDs2qZRcuu9b <https://drive.google.com/open?id=12USrZnqSRWelSKAWiHipyDs2qZRcuu9b>

Please notice it is a RL02 image, while the vax780 simulator defaults to RL01. So to use it you will have to:

- Unzip it (obviously)

.
.
.
set rl0 rl02
attach rl0 stabackit.rl02
.
.
.
boot rl0

This should boot standalone backup and allow you to restore the 4.4 savesets.

If you want to go full realistic, once you’ve got 4.4 running, generate your own STABACKIT in the media format you prefer and then repeat the install :)

Have fun!