[Simh] Install VAX/VMS 4.4 on a simulated VAX-11/780

Henk van de Kamer simh at vandekamer.com
Fri Mar 23 12:26:20 EDT 2018

> If this is just for a one shot deal, it might be a lot easier to talk
> someone else into letting you into their VAX instead of dealing with all
> of this. After installing VMS, which is harder for the older versions,
> you will still need to install pascal. If this is for a longer term
> project, then having your own is better.

I know we used the system for a course programming in pascal, but that
part is not necessary for the moment. I just want to make a screenshot
and may be learning a bit of history as well. Bootstrapping hardware is
one of the topics which fascinate me, and I already saw a lot of "new"
things.

Unfortunately I don't know anybody with real or emulated VAX-11/780 or
VAX-11/785 hardware, so that is the reason for trying to create my own
virtual machine. And may be it is hard, but in the end it should be just
getting the idea what and why must be done and the correct bits and odds...

I thought that somebody already made a howto because it seems that all
the needed stuff can be found. I still hope someone can point me in the
right direction. Off course I have to study the other replies to see if
they help :-).

Thanks for your reply.

--

Henk van de Kamer