[Simh] Install VAX/VMS 4.4 on a simulated VAX-11/780

khandy21yo khandy21yo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 12:15:15 EDT 2018

If this is just for a one shot deal, it might be a lot easier to talk someone else into letting you into their VAX instead of dealing with all of this. After installing VMS, which is harder for the older versions, you will still need to install pascal. If this is for a longer term project, then having your own is better.

rom my Galaxy Tab® A
-------- Original message --------From: Henk van de Kamer <simh at vandekamer.com> Date: 3/23/18  8:45 AM  (GMT-07:00) To: simh at trailing-edge.com Subject: [Simh] Install VAX/VMS 4.4 on a simulated VAX-11/780
Hi,

I'm new to this list, so forgive me if I do things wrong...

For an article about the history of prompts I want to make screendumps
of all systems I worked on. In 1986 (may be 1987) I learned Pascal on
the VAX-11/785 (I think) on the university.

So two days ago I started a journey to install VAX/VMS 4.4 -- because
that is the most probable version used -- on a VAX-11/780 using the Simh
emulator under Debian Stretch. That was the first problem because the
man page of the vax780 command said that ka655.bin was not included. I
found the ka655x.bin in the Simh git. Later I discovered that the man
page is probably wrong and I must use vmb.exe instead.

After searching I found the bb-bt05c-be tape [1] which contains DEC
VAX/VMS V4.4 BIN 16MT9 (C)1986 [2]. After a lot of trial, problems and
searching I finally discovered that I need the Standalone Backup and a
procedure for v3.0 [3]. Another searched and I got three tapes [4]:

     BE-CT97A-BE - VAX/VMS V4.0 STANDALONE BACKUP 1 OF 3
     BE-CT98A-BE - VAX/VMS V4.0 STANDALONE BACKUP 2 OF 3
     BE-CT99A-BE - VAX/VMS V4.0 STANDALONE BACKUP 3 OF 3

I adapted the given ini to the following -- the complete ini with the
same adaptions don't give any difference:

load vmb.exe
set rp0 rp06
set rp1 rp06
attach rp0 stb40.rp6
set console log=logs/vms44.log

Then the procedure:

hvdkamer at obelix:~/vax$ vax780 vax780.ini

VAX780 simulator V3.8-1
Overwrite last track? [N]
Logging to file "logs/vms44.log"
sim> boot rp1

[ctrl-E]
Simulation stopped, PC: 00000E8D (BITL #1000,4(R7))
sim> attach ts bb-bt05c-be.tap
sim> cont
[Enter]

And there it hangs. I downloaded the v3.0 tape used in the example, but
that results in the same.

The above looks the most promising of all examples I tried. Most used
options which didn't work or crashed the emulator. Can someone point me
in the right direction to install the operating system. Thanks for any help.

[1] ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/cm/dec/vax/sw/magtapes/
[2]
ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/cm/dec/vax/sw/magtapes/labels.txt
[3]
http://simh.trailing-edge.narkive.com/P8L1m0CF/problem-booting-vms-1-5#post7
[4] http://iamvirtual.ca/VAX11/VAX-11-software.html

--