[Simh] Problem booting RSX11M on pdp11 (halt at loc 0)

Phil J Fisher phil.fisher at peejayeff.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 06:15:05 EDT 2018

Hi

can anyone suggest what I have done wrong or what I am missing?

I am running SIMH 3.9 (from the SimH site) on a Centos6 system run under
VMware (also VirtualBox gives same results).  I have been using Bob
Evans RSX11M information from his site.
When I load the simulator using mostly his sim.ini file (I removed his
telnet stuff that was built in) and type the usual 'BOOT RL0' (or 'boo
rl0') I get a Halt at PC 0.
Examining the code at location 0 I get (as expected from output) a HLT
instruction (000000 octal).

The disk images do not appear to be corrupted but I am not aware of any
MD5 or similar checksums to be certain.

Anyone any ideas what I am missing or doing wrong?

My only thought was that I was running pdp11 SimH under a virtualization
system (or in crude terms a simulator within a emulator/simulator) and
wondered if that was the issue.  But some searching showed a number of
people who have successfully run SimH simulators under VMware at least.
So at the moment I am inclined to believe that is not the issue.

My initial PC is a Windows 10 Home, running VMware Workstation 14 (or
VirtualBox 5.2.8) and hence to a Centos 6.9 system with 2GB RAM, 1 vCPU.

--
Phil J Fisher