[Simh] Cluster communications errors

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Jul 20 16:53:33 EDT 2018

On 2018-07-20 16:20, Mark Pizzolato wrote:
> On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 6:05 AM, Hunter Goatley wrote:
>> On 7/20/2018 7:58 AM, Paul Koning wrote:
>>> Is that the Ethernet interface down/up that happens when DECnet sets the
>>> MAC address?  I assume you don't have a card that supports multiple MAC
>>> addresses.
>>
>> It probably is. That makes total sense, and I should have realized that.
>
> I'm quite sure that the MAC address change happens much earlier than
> the DECnet startup when a VMS cluster is configured on the system.  As
> soon as the booting system gets its SYSGEN parameters and knows its
> SCSSYSTEMID it 1) has enough info to set the DECnet MAC address and
> 2) is capable of engaging in cluster communications using this ID (and MAC).

Well, I can at least confirm on a real 8650, the network also briefly
goes down and up again when DECnet is started. If I remember it even
happens independent of if you have the machine in a cluster or not.

If someone is really interested I can boot the machine up to VMS and
capture the output. I can also do some other tests and checks if anyone
is interested.

   Johnny