[Simh] Cluster communications errors

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Wed Jul 18 14:20:26 EDT 2018

Hi Hunter,

Maybe Dave has something, but maybe not.

I just booted a diskless simh VAX instance from a simh VAX system running on the same LAN.

The Second phase of the boot (after the MOP load of the Secondary boot loader) had a few retries until the boot succeeded and then the node came up and stayed up without issue.  The booting system had this minimal configuration:

      sim> set cpu 256
      sim> set XQ mac=08-00-2b-11-22-44
      sim> attach XQ eth2
      sim> BOOT

       Then entered BOOT XQ at the >>> prompt.

The simh host system in this case was running Windows.  Just for grins, I tried the same thing from a Ubuntu 18.04 Linux system running in a VirtualBox VM on that same Windows host.

The simh Ethernet layer has dramatically more internal packet buffering (maybe 50 X) than anything real DEC hardware ever had.  This might account for the relatively smooth behavior I’m seeing.
Meanwhile, from what you’ve mentioned it seems you’ve got a simh instance talking to real DEC hardware.

Using the 4.0 Current codebase, you might want to look at: HELP XQ CONFIG SET THROTTLE

You may also want to show us the simh VAX configuration file you are using…

-          Mark