[Simh] TMXR/UC15 documentation?

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Tue Jul 17 16:29:33 EDT 2018

Mark Pizzolato wrote:
> Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
>> The ITS restoration team is getting ready to hook up eight
>> (simulated) Unibuses to a (SIMH) PDP-10.  The MIT AI KA10 machine
>> really did this, and we want some of the applications that used these
>> capabilities.
>
> TMXR is the simh library which is used by terminal mux devices to
> provide telnet connections to simulated serial ports.  It is also used
> by several point-to-point network devices (DMC11, DUP11) to connect
> independent simh instances via simulated WAN connections using TCP or
> UDP for data delivery.

Sorry for the confusion, I must have misunderstood when I read about
those network devices.  Though I suppose what I want could be considered
a form of point-to-point communication.

> What devices are going to be connected to all of these Unibus(s)?

It's mostly used to allow direct access to PDP-11 main memory.

Maybe a longer explanation is in order.

The MIT AI PDP-10 had a special device attached called the Rubin 10-11
interface.  It allowed connecting up to eight PDP-11s.  The interface
mapped the PDP-11 memories into the PDP-10 address space.  As far as I
know (there's not much in the way of documentation), there was only
shared memory, no interrupts or any other features.  The PDP-10 always
initiates accesses.  The 11s could not access PDP-10 memory.