[Simh] Simh VAX V3.9-0 Problems using Init command

will kranz will_kranz at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 4 06:09:46 EDT 2018

Sorry, this is solved.I had a bad path to a non-existent directory in my vax.ini for files I was trying to 'init'and failed to notice the 'open error' in startup display.
Mark's suggestion of checking status of RQ3 at the simh level showed following:sim> sh rq3
RQ3, 409KB, not attached, write enabled, RX50

When I corrected the path, it showed as attached and the 'init' worked as it should.Also discovered that I don't need to create the empty file, simh does that for you ifthe path is valid but the file to be attached does not exist.This was mentioned in Phil Wherry's excellent installation guide but I missed it first
time through:https://www.wherry.com/gadgets/retrocomputing/vax-simh.html