[Simh] Moved my vaxuser to new standalone system and ...

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Tue Jul 3 16:59:58 EDT 2018

On Tuesday, July 3, 2018 at 1:08 PM, James W. Laferriere wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2018, Matt Burke wrote:
> > On 03/07/2018 00:09, James W. Laferriere wrote:
> >>     So now I have a qvss window but have been wondering why after
> >> executing the 'boot cpu' sequence that the output/input isn't
> >> transfered to the qvss window ?  Just a wondering not a difficulty
> >> I'll try the VMS instance I have and see if it'll populate that window .
> >>
> > The MicroVAX 3900 console ROM does not support the QVSS so the console
> > won't transfer to that window. DECwindows does support the QVSS
> > however so at the end of the boot process you should get the graphical
> > login screen in the QVSS window.
> >
> > I know some others were asking so for the record to get DECwindows
> > running you need to install the DECwindows kit and the appropriate
> > licence (DW-MOTIF). You also need to set the WINDOW_SYSTEM parameter
> > in SYSGEN. This has three settings:
> >
> > 0 - No Window System
> > 1 - DECwindows
> > 2 - VWS
> >
> > If you want a VAX that supports the QVSS as a console then you'll need
> > to use the VAXstation I or VAXstation II simulators (microvax1, microvax2).
> > Matt
>
>  	Thank you ,  (#1, for not rubbing my nose in it) and the guidence along
> the way .
>
>  	One (poss.) odd question is it possible to scale up the qvss window so
> that it might (as close as possible) fit a new age screen ?  I understand there is
> physical limitation in the emulation in order to maintain appropriate original
> function .  But am hoping I might be able to scale the output for less eye abuse

Well, the QVSS display has a  specific number of pixels total (1024x864).  This
cannot be changed.  In theory, a 2X pixel size could be scaled to fit on a high
resolution display.  We may look at that after a new batch of changes to the simh
video functionality have been digested.  This would not be a high priority.

Meanwhile, the latest code now displays a useful failure message rather than
any SEGFAULT when the conditions you created happen.

- Mark