[Simh] Moved my vaxuser to new standalone system and ...

James W. Laferriere babydr at baby-dragons.com
Tue Jul 3 16:08:15 EDT 2018

 	Hello Matt ,

On Tue, 3 Jul 2018, Matt Burke wrote:
> On 03/07/2018 00:09, James W. Laferriere wrote:
>>     So now I have a qvss window but have been wondering why after
>> executing the 'boot cpu' sequence that the output/input isn't
>> transfered to the qvss window ?  Just a wondering not a difficulty
>> I'll try the VMS instance I have and see if it'll populate that window .
>>
> The MicroVAX 3900 console ROM does not support the QVSS so the console
> won't transfer to that window. DECwindows does support the QVSS however
> so at the end of the boot process you should get the graphical login
> screen in the QVSS window.
>
> I know some others were asking so for the record to get DECwindows
> running you need to install the DECwindows kit and the appropriate
> licence (DW-MOTIF). You also need to set the WINDOW_SYSTEM parameter in
> SYSGEN. This has three settings:
>
> 0 - No Window System
> 1 - DECwindows
> 2 - VWS
>
> If you want a VAX that supports the QVSS as a console then you'll need
> to use the VAXstation I or VAXstation II simulators (microvax1, microvax2).
> Matt

 	Thank you ,  (#1, for not rubbing my nose in it) and the guidence along
the way .

 	One (poss.) odd question is it possible to scale up the qvss window so
that it might (as close as possible) fit a new age screen ?  I understand there
is physical limitation in the emulation in order to maintain appropriate
original function .  But am hoping I might be able to scale the output for
less eye abuse .

 		Tia ,  JimL