[Simh] Moved my vaxuser to new standalone system and ...

James W. Laferriere babydr at baby-dragons.com
Mon Jul 2 19:09:43 EDT 2018

 	Hello Matt ,

On Mon, 2 Jul 2018, Matt Burke wrote:
> On 26/06/2018 23:24, James W. Laferriere wrote:
>>
>>     With the above I am getting ....
>>
>> sim> boot cpu
>> No protocol specified
>> No protocol specified
>> xcb_connection_has_error() returned true
>> No protocol specified
>> xcb_connection_has_error() returned true
>> No protocol specified
>> QVSS: Error Creating Video Window: No available video device
>>
>> File open error, PC: 00000000 (HALT)
>>

> This looks like SDL is having problems connecting to the X server. Is
> the DISPLAY environment variable set and are you able to run other
> Xwindows applications from the command line? Perhaps try xdpyinfo.
>
> It could also be an X11 access control problem. A quick search online
> for X11 "no protocol specified" showed a few people having problems
> running X11 applications as root (and I noticed you are running simh as
> root). The problem was due to a missing .Xauthority file for the root
> user. Check the environment variable XAUTHORITY.
> Matt

 	The difficulty was exactly running as root and doing a "su - vaxuser"
and expecting X to function under roots window control .

 	SET CPU TYPE=VAXStation
 	Works fine .

 	(Poorly) In my defense I had been regularly doing that on the
previous remote session .  Bad habits die hard .

 	So now I have a qvss window but have been wondering why after
executing the 'boot cpu' sequence that the output/input isn't transfered to
the qvss window ?  Just a wondering not a difficulty I'll try the VMS instance I
have and see if it'll populate that window .

 	Thanks goes to both ,  Mark Pizzolato & Matt Burke .

 	Hopefully there'll be less noise from me from now on ;-)

 		Twyl ,  JimL