[Simh] 101 Basic Games for RSTS/E (was Re: PDP11 on Simh for public access)

Hunter Goatley goathunter at goatley.com
Fri Jan 26 15:35:18 EST 2018

On 1/26/2018 2:22 PM, Timothe Litt wrote:

> BLISS would have done better in the outside world, except for the
> DECision to price it higher than the market would bear.

Indeed! I was fortunate to get access to BLISS in college thanks to
DEC's CSLG program, but it was their second-most expensive compiler
license (after Ada), so virtually no one outside of DEC used it. When
they originally released Alpha, they weren't planning to make the BLISS
compiler available, but I and others worked to try to get DEC to change
that. As I'm sure you know, in the end, they released it with a free
license for both VAX and Alpha (and Itanium), but it was far too late
for most people to have any interest in adopting it. I still do some
BLISS coding, but I'm one of the few that I know of still doing it.

--
Hunter
------