[Simh] BLISS ( was Re: 101 Basic Games for RSTS/E (was Re: PDP11 on Simh for public access))

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Jan 26 14:38:51 EST 2018

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 2:17 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

> I don't think BLISS-16 ran on PDP-10, but I could be wrong. I've never
> seen or heard anything about BLISS-16 running on Alpha or beyond.

​Gem did exactly that conceptually.​

> I guess it could be possible to do, but I sortof doubt anyone did.

​It's a testing problem.   DEC was not only doing emergency fixes ​for the
PDP-11 by the time of Alpha, so I agree.   I don't think TLG did anything
with the EOL systems by then, they had their hands full with Vax, Alpha and
386; plus all the front ends.

> If anyone have the bits, I would be very interested in hearing about it,
> as I would like to recompile some bits and pieces. (Any BLISS-16 compiler
> would be a good start.)

​VMSinc had the Gem compiler as part of their license.   As I say, they
have Neil hacking on it again.   But I believe that he is only worried
about Itanium and INTEL*64 at the moment.​  I also do not know what they
are doing with the front-ends.   Clearly, they are working with the BLISS
front-end, but I have not idea what HP has them doing for the other
languages.  I would expect to see C/C++/Fortran brought forward at least
through the dialect that DEC/Compaq/HP had at EOL, so customer code will
recompile, since I know of OVMS code in those three languages.

Clem
ᐧ