[Simh] BLISS ( was Re: 101 Basic Games for RSTS/E (was Re: PDP11 on Simh for public access))

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Jan 26 14:17:26 EST 2018

On 2018-01-26 18:48, Timothe Litt wrote:
> BLISS-36,-16,-32,-32E,-64E, MIPS, INTEL, IA64, are DEC's common BLISS -
> evolved (and greatly extended) from BLISS-11, but not (really)
> source-compatible for non-trivial programs.  "common" means that (with
> carefully defined exceptions that can be conditionally compiled), the
> same language is accepted by all, and it's possible to write portable
> programs.  Including common BLISS itself.  RMS-10/20 is another
> non-trivial example - same sources as VAX/RMS.  There are a number of
> targets and host environment combinations that are supported.
>
> BLISS-16 is hosted on both PDP-10 and VAX, producing PDP-11 object
> code.  I used both.  I didn't encounter an Alpha-hosted version - but it
> should have compiled & run there, so it probably existed.  Or was VESTed.

I don't think BLISS-16 ran on PDP-10, but I could be wrong. I've never
seen or heard anything about BLISS-16 running on Alpha or beyond. I
guess it could be possible to do, but I sortof doubt anyone did. If
anyone have the bits, I would be very interested in hearing about it, as
I would like to recompile some bits and pieces. (Any BLISS-16 compiler
would be a good start.)

> Most software written in BLISS-10 & -11 was converted to common  BLISS.
>
> There was an attempt at self-hosting BLISS-16, but it failed -
> technically, it ran, but there really wasn't enough address space to
> make it usable.  Cross-compiling wasn't popular (networks were crude),
> so BLISS-16 was not as widely adopted.

Well, parts of the RSX kernel is written in BLISS-16, and all of RMS-11.
Also some parts of DECnet-11M-PLUS.
That much I know. I don't know what else might been written in BLISS-16.

	Johnny