[Simh] 101 Basic Games for RSTS/E (was Re: PDP11 on Simh for public access)

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Jan 26 11:37:28 EST 2018

> On Jan 25, 2018, at 8:15 PM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> RSTS Basic is a late entry, the language support for it, originally came from the compiler group which again was originally PDP-10 based (also remember the PDP-11 BLISS compiler needed a 10 to run it).

Are you talking about BASIC-PLUS-2?  RSTS BASIC-PLUS dates from 1970, and was written under contract for DEC by Evans, Griffiths & Hart ("EGH").  It is essentially a P-code compiler, to use terminology that didn't appear until later; it doesn't generate any machine code.  And as far as I know, it is not based on any BASIC implementation for any other system.

As for BLISS, there's BLISS-16 and BLISS-11.  One came from Carnegie-Mellon; the other was built at DEC.  Both are cross-compilers, but I don't remember which platform.  PDP-10 for both?  10 for one and VAX for the other?

	paul