[Simh] 101 Basic Games for RSTS/E (was Re: PDP11 on Simh for public access)

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Jan 26 11:18:38 EST 2018

> On Jan 25, 2018, at 6:44 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>
> Cool. Thanks. Downloaded and unpacket.
> Anyone interested and on HECnet can now find them on MIM::DU:[101GAMES]
>
> Looked a little at one or two files. BASIC+2 do not like them. The code uses special shorts, functions and specifics that don't match.
> I wonder if BASIC+ accepts them either, or if this might be from some other BASIC dialect that DEC had at some point.
>
> If I have plenty of time at some point, I might sit down and write a converter for them to BASIC+2 style.

There is a converter to do that for RSTS, I believe it was included as a standard tool.  Can't remember the name.  The line ending conventions can be done by running it through TECO (read with /B+ and save with /B2).  But other details, like the use of colon rather than backslash as statement separator you'll have to do by hand.

BASIC-PLUS and BASIC-PLUS-2 are different languages.  It's not hard to write a program acceptable to both, but source text that predates the release of BASIC-PLUS-2 are likely to need work.  And sufficiently old ones (like ones written for RSTS V4A) definitely will, because in those version, BASIC-PLUS did not yet support the -2 compatible syntax.

	paul