[Simh] Fwd: 101 Basic Games for RSTS/E (was Re: PDP11 on Simh for public access)

Warren Young tangentsoft at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 20:16:09 EST 2018

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 5:52 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

> On 2018-01-26 01:34, Warren Young wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 4:44 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se
>> <mailto:bqt at softjar.se>> wrote:
>>
>>     I wonder if...this might be from some other BASIC dialect that DEC
>>     had at some point.
>>
>> I believe we're using these BASIC programs as-is in our OS/8 distribution
>> <http://tangentsoft.com/pidp8i/#os8>.
>>

> Hmm. I would not expect much of that code to work on the BASIC that's
> under OS/8 without changes as well.

I'm basing that on a report from Bill Cattey who used that PDF to repair
several broken programs on the os8.rk05 disk image we were shipping prior
to rolling our own OS/8 distribution based on primary source media.

However, a search for "PDP" in that PDF turns up several interesting bits:

p20: a reference to "PDP-11 BASIC". This program is not among the set we
ship with our OS/8 distribution. I don't know if it's because it's been
tried and doesn't run or if no one bothered to put it in.

p27: a reference to the PDP-8 and the EduSystem 35, which was PDP-8 based;
but this BASBAL.BA program isn't among those we ship, either.

p102: a reference to "PDP-11 BASIC", but the first few lines are the same
in our OS/8 FOOTBL.BA! I did not read more closely to find out if the
similarity continues. (I thought I was done comparing on-screen BASIC
programs to printed BASIC programs by the late 1980s. :) )

p144: a reference to a PDP-7; we ship LIFE.BA, but line 2 says:

   2  REMARKABLY TRANSLATED TO OS8 BASIC BY KAY R. FISHER ...DEC

p235: another reference to "PDP-11" BASIC; we also ship a WEKDAY.BA, and Ms
Fisher is back with another REMark:

  20 REM MODIFIED TO LOOK RESPECTABLE ON PDP-8'S BY KAY R. FISHER ...DEC

So, apparently we are apostate, no longer living strictly by the book. :)