[Simh] VAX Tape Emulation?

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Fri Jan 26 10:53:11 EST 2018

Yes, I’m trying to preserve the data on hard drive from future hardware failures.

I started out looking to backup to virtual tape.  I’m still looking to do that, but I’m now mainly looking to move the majority of the data off of the Physical Alpha, and to a Virtual VAX.  I hadn’t realized how big of virtual disks could be attached, so didn’t consider that a practical option.

Last night I installed Linux on an old Core i5 system I’d picked up recently to run SIMH on.  Today I’ll try to get a new VAX system added to my cluster.  Unlike my other two virtual VAXen, this one is on a host with a 500GB drive (tiny by todays standards, but huge compared to the Alpha, or  where the other two virtual VAXen are running).

Zane