[Simh] VAX Tape Emulation?

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Thu Jan 25 17:29:14 EST 2018

On Thursday, January 25, 2018 at 2:22 PM, Dennis Boone wrote:
>  > At one point, I remember that some VMS folks in ZK3 (CJ Coppersmith
>  > seems to stick in my head by I do not remember) were messing we
>  > putting a the UCB sockets library into VMS and were somebody ported
>  > the Berkeley rcmd(3) suite on VMS from Tru64.
>
> If you're venturing into unix technology, it's possible to mount nfs shares on
> the VMS machines.  Then you can use BACKUP to write save sets onto the nfs
> share.  There seems to be some care needed with ADF metadata.  Multinet
> seems to write this to a hidden file or subdirectory; not sure what UCX/TCPIP
> do.

I don't know where/how this discussion got steered into using rmt and/or other
IP based ideas (nfs) to access the simh tape drives, but if all of the involved systems
(simh VAX and the physical Alpha) are in a VMS Cluster, then the simulated VAX
Tape drives can be accessible cluster wide and they should just work as if they
were local devices.

- Mark