[Simh] Simh Digest, Vol 168, Issue 26

Larry Baker baker at usgs.gov
Thu Jan 25 15:05:26 EST 2018

Zane,

Now you lost me.  You initially said you wanted to backup SIMH VAXes.  If you want to do the backup to a virtual tape drive from a real VAX, you'll need something like MultiNet, and something on the other end that speaks the rmt protocol.  If you want to do a backup to something over the network, DECnet is your friend.  You can (and, I do) run SIMH VAXes on your Mac with huge virtual disk drives attached.  Your physical VAXes can boot into Standalone Backup and you can send the Backup Save Sets over DECnet to the SIMH VAX on your Mac.  If your physical VMS machine is an Alpha, as I recall, Alpha VMS did not support the same bootable Standalone Backup method as VAX VMS.  That is, you could not create a bootable SYSE directory tree on your boot disk.  However, the bootable Alpha VMS install disks let you drop into a console session where you could do that.  That means you have to have one of those bootable install disks and a CD-ROM reader on your physical Alpha.

Unless you are looking for the experience of dealing with tape drives, I think the DECnet remote file access method is easier and more useful.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608
baker at usgs.gov