[Simh] PDP11 on Simh for public access

Warren Young tangentsoft at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 05:11:12 EST 2018

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 2:59 AM, Bryan Davies <bryan.e.davies at gmail.com>
wrote:

> While I can login to the Pi on the VT100 and boot the emulator manually,
> RSTS/E has a number of prompts within the boot dialogue (Date, Time etc)
> which need to be answered before it is possible for a User to login.  I
> have tried putting these responses in a Shell script, and while that
> 'works' insofar as the boot process completes, it doesn't return control to
> the terminal after the script ends.
>
> Can anyone advise how to do it?

SIMH has a send/expect feature pair which could probably express the
solution. See page 14 and 15 of the SIMH manual.

If this feature isn't powerful enough to do what you want, you can use the
tool that doubtless inspired these features, Expect
<https://wiki.tcl.tk/201>. You can run SIMH under Expect until you reach
the interactive point, then disconnect from the SIMH process
<https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/exploring-expect/9781565920903/ch17s05.html>,
allowing the terminal to control it.