[Simh] PDP11 on Simh for public access

Bryan Davies bryan.e.davies at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 04:59:27 EST 2018

Hi,

I volunteer for a computer museum in Cambridge UK where we would much like
to extend our mini-computer exhibit.   We want to set up a VT100 running
RSTS/E for our visitors to use. As the system needs to start unattended I
need it to boot up RSTS from power up.

I have installed Simh on a Raspberry Pi B and connected the VT100 to the
serial port ttyAMA0.

While I can login to the Pi on the VT100 and boot the emulator manually,
RSTS/E has a number of prompts within the boot dialogue (Date, Time etc)
which need to be answered before it is possible for a User to login.  I
have tried putting these responses in a Shell script, and while that
'works' insofar as the boot process completes, it doesn't return control to
the terminal after the script ends.

Can anyone advise how to do it?