[Simh] VMware "internal network" and VAX mop frames

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Wed Feb 21 10:51:47 EST 2018

On 21-Feb-18 09:57, Paul Koning wrote:

> I remember some discussions about trouble if you use a wireless LAN as opposed to a wired NIC, but I don't remember any details.
The short answer is that wireless routers assume that the only
worthwhile protocols are IP/ARP & some VPN tunnels, and that a client
has exactly one endpoint.

Many (most?) wireless routers assume that a client has a single MAC
address.  SimH packets will have one/emulated NIC; the host (client)
packets will have another.  The router will keep track of the MAC
address used for associating with the access point (the host's), and
drop any other (on the theory that it saves bandwidth - with one
MAC/client, "anything else is a waste").  The assumption is violated by
SimH.

Support for non-IP protocol types is also problematic with some wireless
routers.

The first problem could be solved if wireless NICs had a promiscuous
mode (multiple associations could fool the router).  Unfortunately, as
anyone who's ever tried to get a wireless packet trace knows, wireless
NICs that do promiscuous mode are rare (and expensive).  And of those,
ones that support promiscuous transmit are rarer and pricier.

The only practical solution is to tunnel all the SimH frames over an IP
connection to the wired LAN.  (Or, if you are trying wireless simh to
wireless simh, between the wireless host nodes.  I think someone figured
out how to do this, but I've never bothered.