[Simh] RSTS/E Reminiscing

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Feb 7 14:42:28 EST 2018

On 2018-02-07 18:01, John H. Reinhardt wrote:
> With all the recent discussion of BASIC games and such, I have been
> reminiscing about my first days introduced to RSTS/E and the PDP-11 at
> Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology's Camp Retupmoc in summer 1977.  At
> the time they were running V6B on their PDP-11/70.  I've searched for
> some time for various versions of RSTS/E and I've found a few
> distributions.

The joy of reliving yesteryear... ;-)

> I have a real PDP-11 chassis and cards which I am slowly working toward
> refurbishing.  But they are newer MicroPDP-11 types and would not run
> anything older than V8 or V9.  I've found a copy of V6C which is pretty
> close but I'm wondering if anyone has V6B on TAP format. Hopefully the
> SYSGEN tape or a running system that can be re-configured.  I would run
> it on a SIM-11 emulation.

I would have expected V7 something to be the ultimate if you wanted
"old" style RSTS/E. V8 might also fit the bill. V9 definitely have a
different taste, though...

> I know mention has been made of source listing/tapes.  I don't know the
> legality but if it's possible to get source for a V6 or even V7 I'd love
> to have it to look at to see how things were done.

While I really can't help with finding any distributions, I can at least
comment on the legality question, even if you won't like the answer.
RSTS/E is still owned by someone (XX2247 LLC) and is not available as
things stand today.
It's a long story...

   Johnny