[Simh] EXT :Re: DEC Alpha Emulation

Rhialto rhialto at falu.nl
Tue Feb 6 17:53:59 EST 2018

On Fri 02 Feb 2018 at 21:06:06 +0000, Hittner, David T [US] (MS) wrote:
> The Alpha target is the Digital Personal Workstation (PWS) 500au
> [codename: Miata], which qualifies as a single user workstation from a
> minimum licensing perspective.

I have a PWS 433au which I have installed NetBSD on. I have IDE disks
instead of SCSI disks though. Thanks to the great Miata chipset it has
wonderful DMA bugs, as I recall. I think that in the end the disk is
driven with PIO, so slow is it.
I think that I put in a generic IDE PCI card for a second disk, but I
can't really remember...

The PWS survives the AMD computer that replaced it in active use.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- Wayland: Those who don't understand X
\X/ rhialto/at/falu.nl      -- are condemned to reinvent it. Poorly.