[Simh] PDP-11/70 action

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Dec 30 19:45:57 EST 2018

Ok. Information uploaded and can be viewed at
http://psilo.update.uu.se/~bqt/front.html

A couple of comments on individual questions/topics asked about.

In general the LEDs looks almost overexposed. This is because I was
running in a semi-dark room, since I was worried about how well the LEDs
would be visible otherwise. I was also running a bit low on my phone
battery, so I didn't do that many takes. The room was about 32 degrees
celsius (did I mention we have a cooling problem?), so it was a bit
uncomfortable after a few hours in there... :-)

Sytse asked about perceptual lightness of LEDs with some know software
running. He suggested diagnostics, and particularly ZQMC, so I shot a
video of the front panel with that running for a while.

Peter Viscarola and Mark Matlock asked about benchmarks, with Mark even
providing some. So I ran those, and took a photo of the console terminal
after I had run them. Note that while I tried to make sure the system
was idle, it was still on the internet, and there was still sometimes
things happening, so take the results with at least a small amount of
interpretation.

Stephen Casner asked about the uADD/FPP display when at RSX IDLE
(basically just executing a WAIT), and also provided a guess that it
would look like 275 when idle. Got a video of that as well, and yes, for
the low byte, which is the CPU uADDR, it do look like 275. The high byte
is the FPP uADDR, which looks like a 3 all the time. No surprise that it
was stable, considering that the FPP isn't exactly doing anything when
you execute a WAIT. I forgot to check when the CPU was halted.

Terry asked about when HALT was down and one pulled the START switch,
essentially doing an INIT of the system, so I shot a video of that as
well. And the LEDs after this are the same as before, it would seem.

I might take another shot at playing with Magica before I go back to
Switzerland. Let me know if there is anything in particular that anyone
would like to get more tests on. But I can't promise I will manage to
find the time.
Otherwise, my next session will be this summer.

   Johnny