[Simh] Reading PDP-15 and PDP-9 tapes

David Gesswein djg at pdp8online.com
Thu Dec 20 19:40:09 EST 2018

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 02:31:47PM +0100, Pontus Pihlgren wrote:
> Hi
>
> But it just seems to loop over DECtape I/O-instructions.
>
> Any suggestions to what I should be doing?

Reading the OS/8 handbook I think it is only intended to transfer files
and doesn't support copying entire devices.

I tried with one of my PDP-10 tapes from
http://www.pdp8online.com/ftp/images/jby/
I could get directory but your copy format just returned a file of
one block.

I do have software for a beaglebone that can talks directly to the TU56 using
the TD8E interface cable. You will need to make a little board for 5V to
3.3V level conversion.

I have software that uses the TD8E to dump the 18/36 bit tapes but uses
my special interface board. I can send you that. I took the driver out of
the PIP10 code. May be easier for you to start with that.

I put up the files I created for someone for dumping 18/36 bit tapes
here (_18). http://www.pdp8online.com/ftp/software/dumprest/. I never got
feedback on of they worked for them. If you try them let me know if they
work ok.

Let me know if you are interested in any of the above and I will
dig it up for you.