[Simh] Reading PDP-15 and PDP-9 tapes

Pontus Pihlgren pontus at Update.UU.SE
Wed Dec 19 08:31:47 EST 2018

Hi

I have a stack of PDP-15 tapes and my friend has a stack of PDP-9 tapes.
My friend also has a PDP-8/a with TD8E and working DECtape drive. We
would like to use OS/8 to make images of these tapes.

So first I wanted to do it with SIMH in order to get the details right
when I start reading actual physical tapes.

Using an OS/8 image by David Gesswein:
https://www.pdp8online.com/ftp/images/os8/diag-games-kermit.rk05

And a PDP-15 DECtape image from the DOS-15 software kit:
http://simh.trailing-edge.com/kits/dos15.zip

I tried my best to get an image from the emulated TD8E to the emulated
RK-drive. My simh setup is as follows:

set dt disable
set td enable
at rk diag-games-kermit.rk05
at dt -f update1.dta
boot rk

Then I use PIP10:

.R PIP10
*TEST.IM<DTA0:/B

But it just seems to loop over DECtape I/O-instructions.

Any suggestions to what I should be doing?

Thanks in advance,
Pontus.