[Simh] Systems Engineering Labs (SEL) simh simulator available

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Thu Dec 20 19:03:03 EST 2018

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 12:17 PM, James Bevier wrote:
> Being the SIM32 writer, let me tell you why, instead of everyone guessing.
> First there is no rule that I know of that requires simulators to be 64 bit.
> I developed the simulator using various Linux systems, mostly Fedora, both in
> 32 and 64 bit modes.  I still run several 32 bit Linux systems for some
> applications that can not be updated to 64 bit.  Hence the use of the -m32
> option to run them on 32 bit systems.  The SIM32 simulator will run as a 64 or
> 32 app, so pick what you want to use.  I just happen to use both and a 32 bit
> app will run on a 64 bit system, but a 64 bit app will not run on a 32 bit
> system.

That makes absolute sense if we were distributing compiled binaries (as simh
3.8-1 is distributed on several Linux distributions).  Simh 3.8-1 was released in
February 2009.  Since no one ever made the effort to package simh 3.9 which
was released in May 2012, there really isn't any concern for distributing binaries
in *nix platforms.  Essentially all host systems and users can easily grab the tool
chain and build locally.  The simh makefile will build using the locally installed
tools to build locally runnable binaries which will be 32 or 64 bit depending on
the host system.

Meanwhile, building and packaging x86 binaries is exactly what is still done for
the Windows folks who have a steeper hill to climb to put the tool chain together.
Relatively current builds of Windows binaries are available at:
https://github.com/simh/Win32-Development-Binaries

- Mark