[Simh] Improved CRT simulation

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 20:47:04 EST 2018

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018, 18:08 Tom Morris <tfmorris at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think later on they hooked up an external controller to save wear and
> tear on the front panel switches, but originally you played standing
> shoulder to shoulder at the front panel switch register, peering to your
> right at the display off to the side.

When we restored the PDP-1 at CHM, the console data switches didn't work
well. Upon disassembly of the panel, we found that several of the switches,
especially the leftmost and rightmost, had been replaced, probably multiple
times, and that it had been done poorly. This was probably due to wear from
playing Spacewar from the console switches.

Ken Sumrall and I knocked together crude Spacewar control boxes out of
particle board and arcade buttons. This was intended as a temporary measure
until "authentic" replica control boxes could be made, but AFAIK they're
still being used. Steve Russell and Peter Samson thought that these boxes
_were_ "authentic", in the sense that the original control boxes, long
since lost, were also just knocked together out of whatever happened to be
at hand.