[Simh] Transferring the licence file to the VAX emulator

Dave L davel.rss at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 17 15:26:19 EST 2018

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 20:16:19 -0000, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se>
wrote:

> And then I have my possibly very sneaky alternative: TECO. TECO usually
> swallows and does the right thing for very many things, and if not, it's
> very easy to correct, and then let TECO write the file out, and you'll
> have a file with the right format and attributes.
>
>    Johnny

ah I can never remember TECO now, but SOS has stuck with me from RSTS/E
days, in VMS pretty much the same as EDT in line mode so I often revert
there when I need to do anything fancy :-)

Came in well handy when I had to resolve an issue on a unix platform where
some kind soul unset all the sticky bits. I just pulled the directory
lists from that and an unharmed system over to VMS and manipulated there
with DCL and "SOS" to generate the required NIX scripts to fix things back
the way they needed to be. Yeah vi etc can do that too but I've far more
experience on the VMS side so why risk screwing up on when doing a remote
fix on a clients system ;-)