[Simh] Unix v7 tty terminals in SimH pdp11

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 00:13:08 EDT 2017

Hi,

It's been a while since I used SimH pdp11 to do anything beyond boot
Unix V6/V7 for a single user. I would like to be able to use the V7
system in multiuser mode with multiple users and I can't quite wrap my
mind around the problem, so I am asking y'all for help. I am sure I'm
butchering the discussion as I'm a bit unclear on what device is doing
what, but ultimately I want to be able to telnet locally to a port that
the running Unix Version 7 will respond to with a TTY that I can log in
to. According to the document Setting Up Unix - Seventh Edition by
Charles B. Haley and Dennis M. Ritchie, V7:

The DC11 driver is set to run 4 lines. This can be changed in dc.c.
The DH11 driver is set to handle 3 DH11's with a full complement of 48
lines. If you have less, or more, you may want to edit dh.c.
The DN11 driver will handle 4 DN's. Edit dn.c.
The DU11 driver can only handle a single DU. This cannot be easily changed.
The KL/DL driver is set up to run a single DL11-A, -B, or -C (the
console) and no DL11-E's. To change this, edit kl.c to have NKL11
reflect the total number of DL11-ABC's and NDL11 to reflect the number
of DL11-E's. So far as the driver is concerned, the difference between
the devices is their address.

This sounds promising as these seem like terminals to me and each has
plenty of lines if only I could get simh to serve up the devices and
attach them to telnet ports, and if Unix will actually provide ttys on
those devices.

I read the docs and tried adding variations of:

set dli lines=4
attach dli 3633
set dlO0 nodataset
set dlO1 nodataset

to my pdp11 boot.ini file, as well as dc versions of the above and and
and...

I telneted to port 3633 locally after each reconfiguration, but didn't
get any unix output on the telnet session.

I appreciate any helpful comments or suggestions.

Thanks,

Will

--

GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF