[Simh] 5 Questions (3 Questions Sire) About RSTS/E and Command Line.

khandy21yo khandy21yo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 23:00:59 EDT 2017

If all else rails, you can always have them run simh under Linux.
Assuming they have their own Linux boxes, or vm ...
Many versions of Linux have an old version of simh for easy install (apt-get install simh) for Debian and Ubuntu, for example. You would only need to hand out a pre-built image and startup file. Os/8?
Dosbox is also available for a msdos she'll
Linux has a boatload of shells to play with. Anyone written dcl for linux?

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

This is mostly for Tim and Paul, but I figured to cross-post in case any
one might have seen this before (before I lob thy Holy Hand Grenade).

1.  In cleaning up some of my old paperwork, I stumbled across a fanfold
.   paper copy of "RSTS/E System Programmer's Notebook" page 3 (no 1-2)
.   followed by Chapters 1-5 and Appendix A, B pages 1-5.  The bottom of
.   the Preface reads:
.
.   "What follows is a sermon, it is not a Gospel."
.
.   A section on the first page of Appendix A has a paragraph that says:
.
.   CAUTION
.   The PPEK sequences described in this     (sic. I presume PEEK)
.   document are not a part of the supported
.   functionality of RSTS/E V6C as described
.   in the RSTS/E Software Product Description.
.
Has anyone seen/read this before, know who wrote it, have a digital copy
that could be distributed out, or am I destined to type it back in so all
can read (it is good material on old yellowed crackly fanfold paper)???

2.  I lost a very good friend (coworker) this week to MI (he was 66).  We
.   were coteaching a class online Tuesday night and Wednesday morning he
.   was gone. :(  I have inherited 2 of his classes and wish to do the
.   best job I can for his students, honor his legacy, and live up to the
.   praise and respect he gave me that he disclosed to his students.
.
One of these classes is on command line and the text is linux specific.
While I love my linux machines, there has always been a natural flow when
typing commands on pretty much any DEC OS (a person kind of has to acquire
a little bit of tourette's tics to be competent with *nix).  Can someone
in the group provide me with a few accounts to connect to so his students
can see something other than linux???  I think I used to have an account
on CHIMPY, but that has been a while back.

3.  Does anyone have a current HECnet map, so that said students could
.   see how HECnet is set up and navigate a couple of different machines?

That's all.  Sorry to be such a hermit.  I rarely poke my head out into
the world, but this time I felt it was for a just cause. :-)

Brett