[Simh] Raspberry Pi 3 with tun/tap causes XQ to fail

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Tue Nov 14 04:14:59 EST 2017

On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 12:10 AM, Jeremy Begg wrote:
> >On Monday, November 13, 2017 at 2:04 AM, Jeremy Begg wrote:
> >> I am trying to get SIMH up and running on the ethernet interface of a
> >> Raspberry Pi 3.  I have followed the intructions in 0readme_ethernet.txt,
> >> installing the libpcap-dev, bridge-utils and uml-utilities packages before
> >> building SIMH itself.  I just ran 'make vax' and let it go, and the build to
> >> completion.
> >>
> >> My problem is that I just can't get networking going.  To cut to the chase, if
> >> I run the simulator without first setting up the br0 and tap0 interfaces, and
> >> don't attempt to attach the XQ device, it works fine -- albeit without any
> >> networking (as expected).
> >>
> >> If I configure SIMH to attach XQ directly to the Pi's eth0 interface (without
> >> configuring br0/tap0) it works on the first run but fails selftest
> >> 53 on the next run.  If I reboot the Pi and start the br0/tap0 interfaces and
> >> then run the simulator the VAX console fails selftest 53 again.
> >

> >Hmm...  I've been trying to track down the 53 test failure, which I can't
> >reproduce here.
> >
> >In general this should not have anything to do with the networking details
> >you've got setup, but there might be some influence.
>
> I think I have found the cause.  Yesterday Wilm pointed out that his
> configuration did NOT require the tap0 interface to be assigned an IP
> address by the host system, and Steve Mansfield-Device's blog is the
> only place I've found that suggested this requirement.
>
> It occurred to me after I reported it was working that I had in fact made
> TWO changes: the successful boot did NOT connect the NVR.  Trying again
> just
> now, with no IP address assigned to "tap0" and no NVR configured, the VAX
> boots quite happily with a working network interface.
>
> Mark, thank you for the detailed explanation about the failed selftest, but
> I fear it's in vain.  I suspect it's just a corrupt NVR file instead.  So I
> won't try the alternative ka655x.bin (unless you still think it might be
> helpful to do so).

The goal is to remove the possibility of having any self test errors.   Not having
an NVR attached merely starts things with a zeroed NVR.  This is a completely
normal case and is exactly how I tested on my systems successfully hundreds
of times.

PLEASE see if you can reproduce a failure and then see if the different ROM
Image fixes it by following the steps I listed below.

Thanks.

- Mark