[Simh] Raspberry Pi 3 with tun/tap causes XQ to fail

Jeremy Begg jeremy at vsm.com.au
Mon Nov 13 08:16:58 EST 2017

Hi Wilm,

Thanks for the clarification :-)
I had already worked out the changes to the commands to get the IP setup, but it appears under “stretch” the set of commands in your note are not quite right.
(I realise your example closely matches the SIMH documentation.)

HOWEVER, I am pleased to report success!

I was reading the blog at https://mansfield-devine.com/speculatrix/2016/03/networking-vax-openvms-on-simh-the-raspberry-pi/ and he produces much the same configuration, with one very important difference: in his system, the tap0 interface is assigned an IP address (in addition to br0).  As soon as I did that, it started working!

Perhaps this is specific to raspbian “stretch”?  I notice from several discussion forums that many people are not happy with the networking changes made in this release.

Anyway, thanks for your time.

Regards,

	Jeremy Begg