[Simh] Attach tar to tape device and access it from v7 in simh

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Nov 9 11:29:35 EST 2017

> On Nov 9, 2017, at 3:10 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>
> On 2017-11-09 07:51, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
>> Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> writes:
>>> I bet that would be written in some ANSI C, for which you won't find a
>>> C compiler for V7...
>> GCC has a PDP-11 backend, so maybe you can cross compile it.
>
> That would depend on if calling conventions, register conventions, a.out format and so on are compatible between V7 and whatever format gcc uses. Not to mention you also need all the V7 libraries where you do the cross compile. I suspect this might be a bit much to deal with for Will...

Some years ago the 2BSD flavor of the pdp11 back end in GCC was deleted, leaving only the "DEC" style (which isn't actually quite right for DEC assemblers).  Some day I hope to restore it, but other things will likely come first.  It may not be all that hard, a matter of retrieving it from the old releases and doing some modest tweaks to bring it back in.  I'd encourage others to give it a try.

	paul