[Simh] Attach tar to tape device and access it from v7 in simh

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 09:12:27 EST 2017

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 9, 2017, at 2:10 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>
>> On 2017-11-09 07:51, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
>> Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> writes:
>>> I bet that would be written in some ANSI C, for which you won't find a
>>> C compiler for V7...
>> GCC has a PDP-11 backend, so maybe you can cross compile it.
>
> That would depend on if calling conventions, register conventions, a.out format and so on are compatible between V7 and whatever format gcc uses. Not to mention you also need all the V7 libraries where you do the cross compile. I suspect this might be a bit much to deal with for Will...
>
>  Johnny

You got that right, Johnny. Besides, the binary on the tape for more, a lesser less, works well enough:).

I'm slowly but surely getting better at figuring out the environment - as I hit obstacles and overcome them, sometimes through my own efforts and sometimes with a little much appreciated assist.

I've still got a ways to go, before I'm ready to cross compile for V7 without just doing the script kiddie method of copying and pasting stuff somebody said oughta work without any real depth of understanding what's going on under the hood.

I've cross compiled linuxy stuff for arm and suchlike, but it's scripted, the binary formats standard, the header files in the right places, any chrooting set up by the scripts, etc. The concept isn't that difficult, but there are a lot of moving parts and potential complications. That said  Warren's written some tools for this kinda work that are prolly simpler IIRC (aout?).

Will