[Simh] Attach tar to tape device and access it from v7 in simh

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 00:11:52 EST 2017

On 11/7/17 8:09 PM, khandy21yo wrote:
> Does V7 require a special version, or can you just download less from
> gnu.org?

Dunno about getting modern versions of less working on v7, but this is
as much an exploration into history as in pragmatics. To put a bow on
this, I found more in the 3bsd distro (haven't quite figured out how to
compile it - it's looking for a bunch of library routines that don't
exist in my stock v7). Also, 1bsd is for v6 and 2bsd for both v6 and v7
(but the binaries on the tape only run on v6) - here's the relevant part
of Bill Joy's installation note:

Version 7

      This is the new version of UNIX which has just been  released by
Bell Laboratories.  Most of the software here has been running on ver-
sion 7 for several months at Berkeley.

      The binaries on the distribution tape will NOT run on version 7,
as  they  were  compiled  on a PDP-11 version 6 system.  Thus you must
recompile from the source for a version 7 system.  This  will  not be
hard  since almost all of the software thinks it is running on version
7.  The one exception is the Pascal system, which has not been run on
version 7 (since we don't have version 7 on our PDP-11s yet).

Fascinating stuff.

--
GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF