[Simh] New simulator - VAX-11/782

Matt Burke matt at 9track.net
Sun May 21 19:47:08 EDT 2017

On 21/05/2017 15:54, Tim Stark wrote:
> Interesting! Thanks for let us know about MP version of VAX-11/780. Will it be 787/789 emulation (VAX-11/785)? How about 784 (4 processors)? I recommend atomic variables for interlocking. Check C++ reference for more information. It requires least C++11 revisions (least GCC version 4.7). Also it now provides threads internally. I will use them in my MSE emulator.

Yes, it covers the 787/789 too. Just change the CPU model from 11/780 to
11/785:

sim> set cpu model=785

This VAX-11/784 is also covered although there seems to be a few issues
here that I need to investigate. Note that VAX/VMS does not support the
VAX-11/784 for multi-processing. You have to write your own code to make
use of the MA780 shared memory.

The sim_ipc module can provide locking for the shared memory. The bit
that needs working out is how to dispatch to ipc_lock for the
read-interlocked memory accesses. I have some ideas about how to do it.

Matt