[Simh] Idea for a Simh guide

Ray Jewhurst raywjewhurst at gmail.com
Mon May 8 21:04:36 EDT 2017

With all of the questions I have asked lately, I have had an idea. First a
little bit of background. I am 45 years old and have really only had
exposure to PCs and Macs. Although I briefly ran backups on an IBM
mainframe and a HP HP/UX machine of some kind, I really didn't learn much
since I simply followed a script. Then about 10 years ago I discovered
Simh. I have always been intrigued by minis but I knew nothing about them.
I did stuff like booted RT- 11 and running Unix but I just flirted with it
on and off. Then about a year ago I got really interested and for a short
time I contributed to the "show dev" descriptions but I hate C so I decided
to immerse myself into various configurations of systems and whatnot. Now I
am totally infatuated almost obsessed with the PDP- 11 and the VAX although
I have only seen photos of these systems.

I want to share my love of these oldies but goodies to a new generation of
computer aficionados. That is where I hope you all come in. I would like to
make a guide and maybe a blog introducing people to the various machines
simulated. I would like to make easy to understand instructions in plain
English-speaking and advice on how to use the available resources online
especially Bitsavers. One of my favorite bands say, "Energy is contagious,
enthusiasm spreads."-Rush, Chain Lightning. That is what I hope to do. What
do you guys think? Would any of you be willing to contribute? The approach
I would like to take is as I learn my readers learn.

Thanks
Ray