[Simh] VAX 8200

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Sun Mar 19 13:33:14 EDT 2017

The programmatic method Rick provided (and Tim suggested enhancements to) is perfect when you’ve got a working system that has the necessary pieces to run VMS.

Meanwhile, there may be systems which no longer have enough working pieces to actually run any program to extract the ROM contents, or the only OS they have access to on local storage isn’t VMS.

As long as the system runs well enough to get to the >>> prompt on the system console, the console itself can be used to extract the ROM contents.  For example, the MicroVAX 3900’s ROM is at 20040000 and is 128Kb (0x20000) in length (which is 0x8000 Longwords).

To display the whole ROM contents from the console prompt:

          >>> E /N:7FFF 20040000
             P 20040000 FE112211
             P 20040004 01530302
             P 20040008 00038931
           […]
             P 2005FFF8 00000000
             P 2005FFFC 00000000

Capturing the console session’s content and manipulating the captured text into a binary ROM image is left as a programming exercise.

Some systems may not have the /N:nnn option in the console command language.   Those would be reduced to explicit E commands for each longword of the ROM:

          >>>E 20040000
             P 20040000 FE112211
             P 20040004 01530302
             P 20040008 00038931