[Simh] VMS versions with LAVC support

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Mar 11 10:57:31 EST 2017

On 2017-03-11 16:37, Timothy Stark wrote:

> Well, I learned that oldest VMS that support  LAVC is 5.5-H2.  Oldest VMS version support VAXcluster is 4.0. For 4.0 to 5.5, can it handle DECnet as cluster? More one thing, is that possibly CI-to-Ethernet bridge adapter for older VMS software?

Not sure what you mean by "handle DECnet as cluster".
But before LAVC, the only way to cluster was over CI, which simh do not
emulate. So, if you want any kind of cluster, you *have* to do it over
ethernet, which means you need at minimum VMS V5.5-H2.

There is no CI to Ethernet adapter. It is two different network
technologies, with no easy translation between them.

> I will consider to use VMS as MSCP server instead right now.

That should work just fine, as long as you have a VMS cluster.

	Johnny