[Simh] Oddball platform as SIMH/pdp11 host

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Jun 6 11:11:42 EDT 2017

In theory - I do not see why not.   IIRC its an YOCTO Linux port under the
covers >>with some hacking<< I'd have to ask some of my brethren in the
Intel OTC group exactly what was subsetted, although my worry is that some
of the folks that worked on that may have left Intel.  Also. I don't think
anyone ever tried to compile simh for it - so you are likely to run into a
something that is not quite kosher.
But simh's 'needs' are pretty simple, particularly if you start off sans
networking.

Another hint, having done this sort of thing in a past life, look carefully
at the target HW; as moving code from a PDP-11 to a PC, be careful trying
to map a real DEC DR-11 to certain PC parallel port implementations can end
up be a little trickier than you might think, as the semantics of each are
close but slightly different.  IIRC, You just need to be careful of order
of things, and leading and trailing edge latching semantics on the devices
that did not quite line up -- I just remember a project a few years back
were we had a nasty race condition with strange double counts and the
solution a TTL state machine between the emulated DR and the PC/Parallel
port.

FWIW:  I have a couple of Gallieo boards at home (Gen2 I think, but they
might be Gen1 - I have not messed with since the Edison's came out).   Drop
a line privately and I see if I can help you.