[Simh] Rainbow100

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Thu Jul 20 13:31:20 EDT 2017

Gigi was a follow-on to the VT125, which introduced ReGIS.

Gigi was sold - and used - primarily as a graphics terminal, though it
does have a BASIC interpreter.  It was used on the DECSYSTEM-20 and
VAX.  There was some software support; Scribe had a driver for it.

I don't recall any BASIC software sold for GiGi - which would be
difficult, since GiGi has no mass storage - just two  RS232 ports; one
for host comm and one for either a LA34 printer or tablet.  with 16KB of
(D)RAM (plus screen memory) and  28K of ROM, there really wasn't much
you could do with it beyond its intended use as a terminal.  It was
thought that the EDU market might find a use for BASIC; but it wasn't
much of a thought.

CPU is an 8085 - less capable than the Z80, and not capable of running
any general purpose software - no CP/M, MS/DOS, or anything other than
the internal BASIC interpreter.

Someone sufficiently motivated might have driven one of the audio
cassette drives popular at the time (typically modem style FSK) off a
serial port.  But you'd have had to be very motivated.  GiGi wasn't
priced for the hobbyist.

I don't believe it predates the Robin - it was in 1982 (quite the year
for DEC PCish devices).

Again, I wouldn't classify it as a general purpose micro due to the
inability to load/save a program & the lack of software.