[Simh] 8" Floppy disk image getting HALT error

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Tue Jul 11 20:04:44 EDT 2017

On 11-Jul-17 18:02, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2017-07-11 21:09, Timothe Litt wrote:
>> VMS mount /over=id /foreign is the quickest way to identify files-11 and
>> RT disks.  FILES-11 can be read directly; use EXCHANGE for RT-11.  Once
>> you have the disk mounted on VMS, you can network it to wherever you
>> like.
>
> Similar story if you have RSX. I might have forgotten a thing or two
> about VMS here, but I would have thought /OVER=ID/FOREIGN would not
> then let you access the disk in the direct way if it is Files-11.
I was suggesting the easiest way to IDENTIFY the media.  /FOREIGN will
dump the filesystem type when it looks for a HOM block.  Once you know
that, you use the appropriate command / utility to access that type.

To access FILES-11 on VMS, you don't use /FOREIGN, just mount (though
/over=id will allow a private mount without knowing the volume label.)

MOUNT and EXCHANGE details are available from HELP and the manuals.

VMS has, arguably, the most filesystem support and tools for this.  But
OS choice is a religion.  Use whatever you believe in & have available;
there is no point in arguing religion.

Of course, if the OP is more interested in the result than the process,
he can probably get one of us to extract the one file for him...