[Simh] 8" Floppy disk image getting HALT error

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Jul 11 18:02:29 EDT 2017

On 2017-07-11 21:09, Timothe Litt wrote:
> VMS mount /over=id /foreign is the quickest way to identify files-11 and
> RT disks.  FILES-11 can be read directly; use EXCHANGE for RT-11.  Once
> you have the disk mounted on VMS, you can network it to wherever you like.

Similar story if you have RSX. I might have forgotten a thing or two
about VMS here, but I would have thought /OVER=ID/FOREIGN would not then
let you access the disk in the direct way if it is Files-11.

> If you insist on doing things the hard way, there is low-level detail to
> worry about.
>
> The first  track on DEC 8" floppies is reserved for boot (but not used)
> in the standard RX01/2 formats.  It's not used by any DEC OS.  Not even
> for booting (the DEC boot block is the first LBN following the reserved
> track.)
>
> Both are 77 tracks, 1 sided, 26 sectors/track.  The rx01 is 128
> bytes/sector; the rx02 256.  So an RX01 image will be about 251KB, an
> RX02 about 501KB.

Which then makes sense for data to start at track 26.

> Logical blocks are 512 bytes; meaning that an LBN consists of 4 or 2
> physical sectors.  The physical sectors are interleaved.  If you have a
> physical dump of the disk (and your tools haven't outsmarted you), the
> easiest thing to do is to de-interleave it.
>
> Use the attached utility, which documents the format & will
> interleave/deinterleave a floppy image using the usual interleave rules.
>
> 19D0(16) is close to 26 * 256 (short by 48 bytes), so I'd guess you have
> an rx02 and are seeing the empty boot track.  (Although not guaranteed,
> the track was usually written with all zeroes).

I think Walked was a little careless in his conversion. He said bytes
0-6655, which actually turns out to be 01A0, or exactly where track 1
starts.

> The 48 bytes may be left over from formatting, or an artifact of how
> you're reading the medium.  Or an indication that your recovery dropped
> something.  Hopefully it checks the CRCs..

Or just a conversion error. :-)

> The E5 is probably left over from formatting.  I think it was part of
> the sync pattern, and that the formatter wrote
>
> If you see 8-bit data, it's probably RT11 or Files-11.  These are
> self-identifying - block 1 (the second block) will have a filesystem
> name in starting at byte 760(8).  Will be DECFILE11A for ODS1 or
> DECFILE11B for ODS2, DECRT11A for RT11.  RSTS is also possible - I don't
> remember it's code, probably DECRSTS11A.  Given that, data
> (deinterleaved), humans can easily tell what you have.

Unfortunately it's not that easy.
Files-11 do indeed have that identifier in block 1. RT-11 however, might
not. There is no requirement and no checking, and depending on what
version, and what tool, you might be lucky and find such a string there,
but the absence don't mean anything.
VMS Exchange helpfully enough actually writes "DECVMSEXCHNG" there.
(cut-and-pasted from a dump right here and now)
FLX (under RSX) do not write anything at all when you initialize the
disk with an RT-11 file structure.

I don't have any RSTS/E disk images to quickly peek into.

But with some detective work, you can still figure out if it is an RT-11
volume.

But the fact that the dump seem to get directly to document data without
anything at all suggest that there isn't any file structure at all on
the disk.

> RT11 files are contiguous, so recovery is easy.  FILES-11 files can be,
> but probably aren't.  You have to read mapping pointers.  There are
> tools that will do that (one of these daze I do intend to release mine.)
>
> But it's much easier to just run EXCHANGE and say "COPY" by filename :-)

Indeed. Seems unneccesary work to write a tool to parse that out when
tools already exist. You can do it in VMS, or RSX, RSTS/E or Ultrix,
without having to write any code.

> As for WPS-8  - yes, it's packed into 12 bits - but it's also encoded (I
> vaguely remember it as a 6-bit code with shift & formatting - but I'd
> have to look up the code I wrote to translate it.)  In any case, it
> would not look like text to a "modern" filesystem.

Yeah. I think we can exclude WPS from likely formats.

	Johnny