[Simh] SIMH in the news today

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Jan 31 15:51:42 EST 2017

On 2017-01-31 21:19, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
> Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> So you obviously also know of ITS machines that have been existing all
>> the time. :-)
>
> Yes.  It was certainly never gone.  But I don't know any continuously
> running ITS in the period between 1990-2001.

I didn't mean to imply that one and the same machine had been running
all the time. Only that various individuals have been running ITS all
the time. I don't know, maybe some have been running it all the time.
But since it has been around, and been running on and off, all the time,
I found it weird to see a title about it being "recovered", when it
obviously never was lost.

> I have made a table of all ITS machines I've heard about here:
> https://github.com/PDP-10/its/issues/181

Fun talks too... :-)

>> Your recount though, sounds more like you are talking about a specific
>> machine or site, and not ITS in general.
>
> I didn't mean to.  But yes, until the mid 80s, it was a MIT-only affair.
> Maybe KATIA was the very first outside MIT?

I have no idea. But while I know that ITS was mainly an MIT thing, I did
think it had been brought up at least somewhere else.

>> Confusing to talk both about the emulator KLH, and the person KLH, who
>> wrote KLH... :-)
>
> I wrote KLH for the person, and KLH10 for the emulator.

That would be a way, yes.

>> And then you had some individuals who had their own KS at home.
>
> Right.  Digex, MRC, John Wilson.  Some MIT KSes went to Chris Zach.
> And more people in modern times.

Yup.

>> You might want to talk with Björn Victor...
>
> I have that covered. :-)

Saw that...:-)

	Johnny