[Simh] VAX memory

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Thu Jan 19 15:32:14 EST 2017

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 12:25 PM, gérard Calliet wrote:
> I use simh to emulate a VAX. It seems I have a strange issue.
> I have a process which use a huge number of logical names. So it uses
> memory. With a physical VAX of 128m it was difficult but possible.
> I use the same system disk (upgraded from VMS 6 to VMS 7.3).
> I use last version of simh with 512m and I get a "%SYSTEM-F-INSFMEM,
> insufficient dynamic memory" message.
> I thought new version of VMS needed more memory, so I add a lot to all the
> memory parameters. Same problem.
> When I do a $show mem, it seems there is enought memory, when I do a
> $show process/account it seems the process is not out of its limit.
> Could it be some issue from simh? Did someone encount such problem?

Your problem is absolutely related to proper tuning of the VMS system and
is NOT a simh specific problem.

Upgrading VMS from V6 to V7.3 would reasonably require some tuning
adjustments.  Proper examination of the running system along with
reasonable input data (MODPARAMS and FEEDBACK) to the AUTOGEN
process would be appropriate.