[Simh] ts10 and mse (my new emulator)

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Feb 20 15:37:51 EST 2017

On 2017-02-20 21:18, Phil Budne wrote:
>> Not sure how meaningful sound is. In general, I would not be able to
>> tell one computer from another. The noise normally comes from lots of
>> fans, and they sound the same no matter which computer they are in.
>
> My first thought about the sound of a KL10 was the roar of the fans
> and the cold of machine room.  But I remember when I would take Boston
> University's 2060 (Orange KL10) stand-alone, I would fiddle with the
> FE switches to move the console from the LA36 to an VT100 in the
> Operator's room next door: I remember I could hear the creaking sound
> of the RP06 PS: device seeking each time I issued the RSX20F boot
> command to try a new monitor image.

Yeah... :-)
Although I'm almost impressed if you could hear the noise of the head
seeks on the RP06 over that noise.
But if you think the fans on a KL roar, you should try the VAX-8650...

> But that's the only time I remember knowing a change in sound was
> because of something I had done...

It's kind of like, you can hear noises, if you are really close to a
specific device, but that's not normally what you would be doing. You'd
be sitting at a terminal, or the front panel, and work...

	Johnny